Tonight Quantum Corp. announced their first appliance, the M330 metadata controller appliance. It includes is a pair of Xeon servers with StorNext pre-installed plus shared storage for metadata.
- 10 StorNext client licenses of your choice: Linux, Unix or Windows
- Xsan client compatibility (Mac clients don't count against the 10 StorNext licenses)
- 2 additional licenses plus HA for the metadata controllers
- Web management
- New setup, performance tuning, and logging enhancements
- Upgradability to advanced features such as Storage Manager HSM, deduplication, and LAN sharing
The M330 is priced at $75,000 and Quantum says it is available now from resellers. (Disclaimer: my employer is a StorNext reseller and would love to sell this to you.)
Thanks to Matt Geller for bringing this announcement to our attention.
Comments should be posted in our forum, please.
Intro videos and the press release are after the break...
Quantum Begins Shipping First Offering in Family of New StorNext Appliances
StorNext M330 Delivers Power of StorNext While Simplifying Deployment, Operation and Support
SAN JOSE, CA, Jun 20, 2011 (MARKETWIRE via COMTEX) --
Quantum Corp. (NYSE: QTM), the leading global specialist in backup, recovery and archive, today announced availability of its first product in a new family of StorNext(R) appliances. The StorNext M330 metadata controller appliance combines the high-performance, heterogeneous software file sharing and tiered, vendor-agnostic archiving benefits found in Quantum's StorNext data management software with the simplicity of purpose-built hardware. Targeting organizations with sustained large data throughput challenges, such as video files that can quickly grow to multi-petabytes (PBs) of streaming digital content, the scalable StorNext M330 addresses complex "big data" management needs yet is designed for ease of deployment with minimal configuration requirements.
StorNext M330 Appliance Highlights
- Retains proven, high-performance power of StorNext software. Leading world-class companies in media and entertainment, oil and gas, government and life sciences rely on Quantum's StorNext software to manage the ingesting, sharing and archiving of very large data files. Uniquely architected to handle streaming data with unparalleled scalability and performance, StorNext is now available in a ready-to-use appliance.
- Simplifies installation and enables predictability and scalability for heterogeneous, file sharing business environments. The StorNext M330 is purpose-built for accelerated deployment and offers repeatable performance and functionality. The appliance introduces new software features for StorNext, such as an enhanced GUI and reporting tools for accelerated set-up and performance tuning. Additionally, the StorNext M330 includes high availability software, two StorNext SAN clients for the controllers, and 10 StorNext SAN clients for any supported OS type, including Windows, Linux, AIX, HP-UX and Solaris. These StorNext software features are factory installed, factory licensed, and included in the base price of the appliance.
- Manages high-performance sharing and access to millions of big data files with any major disk subsystem or tape library. The StorNext M330 comes with the StorNext File System software, two metadata controllers (one for high availability) and a dedicated metadata array. The appliance can simultaneously share and access big data files by utilizing Fibre Channel speeds over a SAN and automatically tier data to disk or tape for preservation or future use through Quantum's StorNext Storage Manager(TM) software. Customers and partners can integrate the StorNext M330 with disk solutions from their chosen primary storage vendor as well as with tape libraries from any major provider.
- Provides a reliable, efficient and highly available platform for managing complex data management issues. An appliance form factor with all components tested and certified by Quantum minimizes the resources required to deploy StorNext for big data environments. The StorNext M330, which includes a second system for automatic failover, is ideal for organizations tackling the management of shared heterogeneous file systems with limited IT resources or minimal configuration requirements.
- Offers faster, easier support for demanding customer environments. Complex system environments which integrate StorNext software, OEM operating platforms and servers can create maintenance and support challenges for customers and partners. The StorNext M330 gives customers the opportunity to select a packaged metadata controller which is 100 percent integrated and supported by Quantum.
- Targets the growing use of big data files such as video in the enterprise. Video applications, previously used by only the world's largest media companies, are spreading broadly to a wide range of enterprises -- to support business needs in areas such as marketing, remote sales and employee training. The StorNext M330 enables departments within enterprises to leverage the same unique performance and functionality that StorNext software provides but in a simpler model for deployment and support.
- Paves the way for StorNext family of appliances. The StorNext M330 is the entry offering in a future family of appliances which will provide customers and partners with a simpler set of "pluggable" building blocks from which to create optimized big data application solutions.
Pricing and Availability The StorNext M330 is priced at $75,000 and currently available from Quantum, as well as from its worldwide channel and distribution partners.
Supporting Quotes Richard Villars, vice president, Storage and IT Executive Strategies, IDC "Once an issue for only Hollywood and select government agencies, rapid yet cost-effective ingest and ongoing data management of exploding rich content pools is now a critical requirement for many enterprises and mid-sized businesses. Solutions like Quantum's new StorNext M330, a powerful and easy-to-use appliance, will make it easier for IT organizations to effectively address the complexity of accessing and sharing video."
Janae Stow Lee, senior vice president, File System and Archive Product Group, Quantum "The StorNext M330 expands the delivery model for StorNext from the 'a la carte' flexible structure to one that is also more predictable and simple. This appliance, built on feedback from experts in the StorNext installed community, broadens the usability of StorNext software to organizations that need distinctive high-performance shared file scalability and economic archive capabilities, but don't require a customized deployment."
- Read more about the StorNext M330: http://www.quantum.com/stornextm330
- Listen and view the StorNext M330 presentation: http://qntm.co/m330Preso
- Watch Quantum StorNext M330 on YouTube: http://qntm.co/m330pt1 and http://qntm.co/m330pt2
- Learn more about the StorNext File System and StorNext Storage Manager: http://www.quantum.com/products/software/stornext/index.aspx
- Follow the latest Quantum StorNext happenings on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/quantumcorp
- Join the Quantum StorNext conversation on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/stornext
About Quantum Quantum Corp. (NYSE: QTM) is the leading global specialist in backup, recovery, and archive. From small businesses to multinational enterprises, more than 50,000 customers trust Quantum to solve their data protection, retention and management challenges. Quantum's best-of-breed, open systems solutions provide significant storage efficiencies and cost savings while minimizing risk and protecting prior investments. They include three market-leading, highly scalable platforms: DXi(R)-Series disk-based deduplication and replication systems for fast backup and restore, Scalar(R) tape automation products for disaster recovery and long-term data retention, and StorNext(R) data management software and appliances for high-performance file sharing and archiving. Quantum Corp., 1650 Technology Drive, Suite 800, San Jose, CA 95110, (408) 944-4000, www.quantum.com.
Quantum, the Quantum logo, DXi, Scalar, StorNext and StorNext Storage Manager are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Quantum Corporation and its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
"Safe Harbor" Statement: This press release contains "forward-looking" statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Specifically, but without limitation, statements relating to 1) customer benefits and value to customers from using Quantum's StorNext M330 appliance , 2) customer demand for and Quantum's future revenue from such appliances, and 3) the availability and the features of the new family of StorNext appliances, are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Safe Harbor. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to Quantum on the date hereof. These statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause Quantum's actual results to differ materially from those implied by the forward-looking statements. These risks include operational difficulties, unforeseen technical limitations, the ability of competitors to introduce new solutions that compete more successfully with our solutions, unexpected changes in market conditions and unanticipated changes in customers' needs or requirements, as well as the risks set forth in Quantum's periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, those risks and uncertainties listed in the section entitled "Risk Factors," in Quantum's Quarterly Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 14, 2011, especially those risks listed in this section under the heading "Our operating results depend on a limited number of products and on new product introductions, which may not be successful, in which case our business, financial condition and operating results may be materially and adversely affected." Quantum expressly disclaims any obligation to update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.