Apple has posted a knowledge base article warning that a specific combination of Xsan client and a StorNext controllers may lead to data loss. The entire article is below.
Xsan 2.3: Update to StorNext SNFS v4.2.1 controller to avoid data loss issue
Xsan 2.3 clients (running OS X Lion or Lion Server v10.7.2 or earlier) that access filesystems hosted by controllers that use StorNext SNFS version 4.2.0 may experience data loss when renaming files on StorNext-hosted volumes.
A file may be unexpectedly deleted when renamed to a new name which differs only in the capitalization of the letters; for example, when changing "test" to "TEST".
- Update all StorNext FS controllers from version 4.2.0 to 4.2.1 or later.
- Perform an orderly restart of all StorNext filesystems:
- Unmount any StorNext volumes from all clients on the SAN.
- Stop the StorNext volumes.
- Start the StorNext volumes.
- Mount those volumes on Xsan client systems once again.
- Verify that the issue no longer occurs when renaming files.
This issue does not affect earlier Xsan client systems or SNFS software versions other than 4.2.0.