Recent Comments

• Reply to: Xsan 4: Volume mounting, but not showing in Server app   4 hours 46 min ago

I just thought I would post the solution to my problem from a response from a helpful user on the Apple forums. This worked for me, hopefully it could help someone else:

It would seem that the Xsan configuration stored in LDAP does not include your volume. You could try these steps to resync the configuration files stored in /Library/Preferences/Xsan and the configuration in LDAP:
    Important: Make a backup copy of the /Library/Preferences/Xsan directory on each MDC.
    If I'm right about LDAP not including your volume, the secondary won't have any .cfgp file in its /Library/Preferences/Xsan directory--unless you put it there.
    Remove the secondary MDC from the SAN.
    On the primary MDC:
    Check that your volume name appears in /Library/Preferences/Xsan/fsmlist. See the fsmlist(4) man page for details. You will have to use the full path to that man page, e.g. "man /System/Library/Filesystems/acfs.fs/Contents/man/man4/fsmlist.4".
    Update the LDAP configuration with: "sudo xsanctl pushConfigUpdate". See the xsanctl(8) man page for more information. ("man xsanctl")
    Your existing volumes should reappear in Server app when you do this. You may need to do command-R to refresh the view. If you don't see your volume, review the output of "xsanctl pushConfigUpdate" to see if it explains what failed.
    Add the secondary MDC back to the SAN.
    Assuming pushConfigUpdate worked, the secondary MDC should automatically mount your volume when you add it. The same should happen for any additional clients you add to the SAN.

• Reply to: XSAN 4: smb share does not let me read/write files under windows   8 hours 30 min ago

We're experiencing the same problems at this moment. Just upgraded to XSAN 4 (Yosemite 10.10.1 - Server 4.0.3). All regular DAS shares work fine in Windows. Our SMB reshared SAN volume has the same issues as described: we can connect, browse, create and delete folders.
    The windows client is not able to copy files from and to.

Any updates in regards to this issue?

• Reply to: XSAN 4: smb share does not let me read/write files under windows   3 days 14 hours ago

It looks like this problem is only for the Xsan Volume

If i share a local folder from the same server, with the same preferences, Windows does not have any problem in read and write.

The only difference that comes in my mind till now, that can cause the problem, is the OD, but no mac client or windows joined the OD, and while the Mac sharing in smb works correctly, the windows got problems......

• Reply to: Xsan 10.9.4 does not add clients 10.8.5   3 days 22 hours ago

Having the same issue as 10.9.4.
    Also could some one define the hidden meaning of the error codes in XADMIN when displaying computers.

fsnameservers incorrect?

Incorrect search policy?

Running a 5 volume 100TB XSAN with a mix of 10.6.8, 10.8.5 and 10.9.5 clients.
    MDC's are running 10.9.5

• Reply to: Xsan 4: Volume mounting, but not showing in Server app   4 days 1 hour ago

I'm not running any Windows machines on this Volume, it's an all Mac video lab. I was able to successfully setup my OD with my primary and secondary MDC, as well as configure both of the machines on Xsan. I'm sure there's something in OD that needs to be reconfigured in order to recognize that the volume is present, but I just can't figure out what that is. What's weird is that it will mount on both the MDC and secondary MDC without issue, but it just doesn't display in the Server app. I'm just afraid that this will cause issues down the road. Also, it requires a manual mount on the client machines the first time around.

• Reply to: XSAN 4: smb share does not let me read/write files under windows   4 days 1 hour ago

Update:

Recreated the volume with native extended attributes enabled.

Still not working

Honestly i tend to avoid OD in my Xsan.
    Unfortunately, it's mandatory in this new Yosemite system, so once i configure it, i leave it alone.
    What i've noticed, it's that the new Xsan takes as metadata network the primary network defined by the hostname, so it's needed to set the hostname in private network before creating the OD master.
    In this mode, i have the metadata network properly in the fsnameserver file.

I'm also facing problems in retiring the Xsan volume on windows system.

Does it work the SMB share on windows on your side?

• Reply to: Xsan 4: Volume mounting, but not showing in Server app   4 days 2 hours ago

Basically there was an issue where the MDC and secondary MDC were not displaying property in Server app. OD would not allow any modifications of the hosts, we determined that OD was definitely corrupted in some way. I tried everything to fix the OD config but was unable to do so. I ended up having to just delete the Xsan config and clear all the configs for OD and start fresh. However, I saved backups of my Xsan preferences, as well as my volume config file. I started fresh, added a couple of config files (including the Xsan config) back to the Xsan preferences folder.

I'm quite sure it is an issue with OD, but whenever I try to reload my previous config it loses connectivity with all the clients as there is some sort of corrupted file. Is there anything I can manually configure in OD to fix the issue that you know of? Thanks for the help!

• Reply to: Xsan 4: Volume mounting, but not showing in Server app   4 days 3 hours ago

Hello Cutmoney
    I once had a similar problem with Xsan 4 (but i was able to destroy/recreate, so it was easier)

A couple of questions:

Did you reconfigured your server AFTER creating the OD Master/Replica and the Xsan Volume?
    The reconfiguration included the changing of the hostname of the Server?

If you did this, i recommend you to go back to the previous config to have your volume back, because now the OD is completely screwed, and if OD doesn't work, so Xsan Volume will not show.

Let me know

• Reply to: Storage space and affinities   1 week 1 day ago

Hey Trevor,

we had no time to do stopping and checking hence the reason for only restart.

Regarding possible interface issue: whenever i restart it same message prints out sooner or later.

Regards

• Reply to: Storage space and affinities   1 week 2 days ago

I wouldn't worry about that. Won't affect your volume just xsan admin interface issues. Maybe you need to close and reopen xsan admin?

Why didn't you cvfsck -nv the volume?

Glad we got things in order.

• Reply to: Storage space and affinities   1 week 2 days ago

Hey Trevor,

we have just restarted vloume without doing any checks and directl;y afterwards all values (used and free space) are in order. In sytem log i have noticed these two lines repeating often:

Jan 18 15:15:33 mdc1.nb.b92.net Xsan Admin[68678]: ERROR: Error reading volume statistics for b92xsan: kOfflineError (0)
    Jan 18 15:15:33 mdc1.nb.b92.net WindowServer[105]: _CGXGLDisplayContextForDisplayDevice: No matching context for device (0x7fa399c10db0) - disabling OpenGL

Do you have any idea what they could mean?

Thanks in advance!

• Reply to: Storage space and affinities   1 week 5 days ago

Ok i will try to find suitable moment to stop volume and do as suggested.

Thanks.

• Reply to: Storage space and affinities   1 week 6 days ago

I looked at those articles. I can only speak to volumes. I have

once in cvadmin can you run a show long command. A

cvfsck is run as cvfsck -nv

My understanding is the j switch is not required anymore but it won't hurt before. make sure the volume is stopped. give us both outputs.

• Reply to: Storage space and affinities   1 week 6 days ago

Also how can i run cvfsck to be absolutely sure that i wont make any modifications or cause any issues to current state?

I know that cvfsck -n does the job in read only mode but from what i can see on man page it suggests running -j switch first.

Id like to do a check but i need to be sure that i wont cause our files to somehow dissapear or become unusable.

Can anyone suggest the right set of switches?

Thanks!