Recent Comments

• Reply to: EOL Notice: AppleCare Xsan Support   15 hours 42 min ago

There unit many supplements among the market, that promise for losing your excess weight. but there unit alone the few that shows results.
    Pure White Kidney Bean Extract
    White Kidney Bean Extract

• Reply to: Xsan volume UUID   1 day 8 hours ago

Il might be a multipath thing...
    Might also depend on the zoning configuration in the switch.
    There are a few variables and I am not pretending to understand how it works in the backend.

What I would assume is that the UUID is generated based on a combination of LUN target presented and the FC path/port to access it. Since we are talking FC switches, then this combination would tend to change so the UUID would be different.

Don't take my word for it, this is just my assumption/guess.

• Reply to: Xsan volume UUID   1 day 14 hours ago

Hmm, or.. It can stay the same

metadata02:~ admin$ diskutil info /Volumes/Working |grep "Volume UUID"
    Volume UUID: 8A5236D0-B9FE-43AA-B1C7-57AA6000F129
    metadata02:~ admin$ sudo xsanctl unmount Working
    Password:
    metadata02:~ admin$ sudo xsanctl mount Working
    metadata02:~ admin$ diskutil info /Volumes/Working |grep "Volume UUID"
    Volume UUID: 8A5236D0-B9FE-43AA-B1C7-57AA6000F129
    metadata02:~ admin$ sudo xsanctl unmount Working
    metadata02:~ admin$ diskutil info /Volumes/Working |grep "Volume UUID"
    metadata02:~ admin$ sudo xsanctl mount Working
    metadata02:~ admin$ diskutil info /Volumes/Working |grep "Volume UUID"
    Volume UUID: 8A5236D0-B9FE-43AA-B1C7-57AA6000F129

• Reply to: Xsan volume UUID   1 day 14 hours ago

Hmm, or.. It can stay the same

metadata02:~ admin$ diskutil info /Volumes/Working |grep "Volume UUID"
    Volume UUID: 8A5236D0-B9FE-43AA-B1C7-57AA6000F129
    metadata02:~ admin$ sudo xsanctl unmount Working
    Password:
    metadata02:~ admin$ sudo xsanctl mount Working
    metadata02:~ admin$ diskutil info /Volumes/Working |grep "Volume UUID"
    Volume UUID: 8A5236D0-B9FE-43AA-B1C7-57AA6000F129
    metadata02:~ admin$ sudo xsanctl unmount Working
    metadata02:~ admin$ diskutil info /Volumes/Working |grep "Volume UUID"
    metadata02:~ admin$ sudo xsanctl mount Working
    metadata02:~ admin$ diskutil info /Volumes/Working |grep "Volume UUID"
    Volume UUID: 8A5236D0-B9FE-43AA-B1C7-57AA6000F129

• Reply to: Xsan volume UUID   5 days 2 hours ago

An Xsan volume will get a different UUID each time it is mounted. I suppose a feature request could be made to Apple to ask if it could be more consistent.

At one point we had problems with Archiware P5 where it would try to backup the entire volume every time the volume had been re-mounted. Archiware seems to have changed how they were tracking the volume identity because now it works fine.

• Reply to: XSAN and 4K video editing   5 days 2 hours ago

Hi Ray, I've been building 4k Xsan systems for quite a while now. A lot depends on the native playback format, with R3D and such being easy, and uncompressed/DPX/etc being hard.

I'm building 6k capable systems now. I will PM you, as this discussion is large in scope.

• Reply to: Xsan with NetStor NA381TB   5 days 2 hours ago

You've already had some of the best minds on this forum tell you this won't work, and why. You need FC (or unsupported, iSCSI - but we've done it) targets for Xsan. Period.

• Reply to: Xsan volume UUID   5 days 4 hours ago

Yes we have the exact same thing happeningen here:

editset06:Volumes root# xsanctl mount Productie_A
    editset06:Volumes root# diskutil info /Volumes/Productie_A/ |grep "Volume UUID"
    Volume UUID: 92C3721B-0A66-4FC8-986C-F1A0008C3DB5
    editset06:Volumes root# xsanctl unmount Productie_A
    editset06:Volumes root# diskutil info /Volumes/Productie_A/ |grep "Volume UUID"
    editset06:Volumes root# xsanctl mount Productie_A
    editset06:Volumes root# diskutil info /Volumes/Productie_A/ |grep "Volume UUID"
    Volume UUID: 35350312-E643-47D3-9A51-A4A422A049C4
    editset06:Volumes root#

Perhaps you can determine the volume on name obviously and also MDC?

• Reply to: Xsan volume UUID   5 days 6 hours ago

Good question, I will check it out when I have the change

• Reply to: Xsan with NetStor NA381TB   6 days 14 hours ago

I'm testing now this chassis.
    Mounting a mac mini with an Atto R608 i've been able to create a San Volume.
    Now, i just need to serve two clients and tried to share the LUNs via ATTO FC82EN.

Unfortunately, ATTO just confirmed me that the Target Mode is not available under MacOS environment with their FC82 and FC84 cards, but only under Linux and Windows (which now explains why it's possible to build a switchless San using a Galaxy Aurora or an Aurora LS that both runs on Linux)

I'm now asking if i can add a controller that supports Target mode under Mac OS (i've tried with a Sanlink, and i can change it's status, but only via fibre channel switch).

I'll keep you posted.

• Reply to: Active Storage and UPS intelligence   6 days 15 hours ago

I figured out the expect script.

• Reply to: Xsan 10.9.4 does not add clients 10.8.5   1 week 5 days ago

Were you able to eventually get the client to appear in the Xsan admin ?
    If so, how did you solve it ?

I have a similar issue, however I was unfortunate and did not have time machine to restore back to and have been unable to add my client back to my SAN setup.

• Reply to: Xsan with NetStor NA381TB   2 weeks 4 days ago

Also, that marketing video is hilarious.

• Reply to: Xsan with NetStor NA381TB   2 weeks 4 days ago

I think in this configuration, it would probably be a candidate for T-Store (previously MetaSAN).
    Tou could do something with 10G networking instead of FC.

It would probably cost a little more then XSan in the long run as you get the licensing fee, similar to StorNext.

I took a look at a solution with accusys recently, with pcie3 storage & interconnect instead, nice performance for a small workgroup SAN but it wouldn't scale much like a FC SAN/XSAN.

Good luck.

• Reply to: Xsan with NetStor NA381TB   2 weeks 5 days ago

this is not for Xsan. Buy used promise RAIDS on ebay and put new disks in them if your going ghetto route.

Also this won't create fibre channel targets. this will provide a HBA to your mini.