running XSAN 2.3 (Lion) in StorNext3.5/4.0 environment

cklauss's picture

I had 1 hour to check on a workstation, if the built in XSAN2.3 in Lion will work with our StorNext linux-based environment.
Well, there was no further testing, but it seems to work - without any additional licence. In fact - the Mac XSAN client still comes with its own license, so no further floating license from the mdc is used!

Configuration was easy.

  1. First you need to enable XSAN in the PrefPane./*
  2. Config files in OS X 10.7 are found at /Library/Preferences/Xsan//*
  3. Just create fsnameservers with your mdc address(es) inside/*
  4. Copy your .auth_secretfile if you use one/*
  5. Reboot or restart services/*
  6. sudo cvadmin will show up your StorNext filesystems/*/list

    Mount StorNext disks manually with mount -t acfs your_snfsname mountpoint
    I think a automount.plist will do it automatically (put it in /Library/Preferences/Xsan/)

    So there is no need for any licenses! So you get a XSAN/StorNext Client for 24EUR...wow!

singlemalt's picture

Interesting. Haven't found anything official from Apple or Quantum as to which
versions of Stornext controllers will be supported for Xsan2.3 or vice versa.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1517 only goes up to 2.2.1.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3658
Does list some of Lion Xsan features not supported on Stornext which certainly implies at least some kind've supported feature set.

MattG's picture

Just to enrich this post, "publicly visible" Xsan binaries are now tucked away in ...

/usr/sbin/

But if you poke into...

/System/Library/Filesystems/acfs.fs/Contents/bin/

...you'll find a more complete set, including some new morsels like xsandaily (?!). This seems to be the location where the launchd-fired xsand is launching from.

cklauss's picture

MattG wrote:
Just to enrich this post, "publicly visible" Xsan binaries are now tucked away in ...

/usr/sbin/

But if you poke into...

/System/Library/Filesystems/acfs.fs/Contents/bin/

...you'll find a more complete set, including some new morsels like xsandaily (?!). This seems to be the location where the launchd-fired xsand is launching from./quote

thx! didn't look for binaries... But I wanted to check cvversions in order to see what stornext version is built into xsan2.3

Did someone already cvversions on OSX Lion?
Is it still SNFS3.1 or 3.5?

MattG's picture

macpro:~ admin$ /System/Library/Filesystems/acfs.fs/Contents/bin/cvversions

File System Server:
Server Revision 3.5.0 Build 7443 Branch (457)
Built for Darwin 11.0 i386
Created on Sat Jun 18 13:09:11 PDT 2011
Built in /SourceCache/XsanFS/XsanFS-457

File System Client:
Client Revision 3.5.0 Build 7443 Branch (457)
Built for Darwin 11.0 x86_64
Created on Sat Jun 18 13:12:12 PDT 2011
Built in /SourceCache/XsanFS/XsanFS-457

wrstuden's picture

cklauss wrote:

  1. First you need to enable XSAN in the PrefPane./*
  2. Config files in OS X 10.7 are found at /Library/Preferences/Xsan//*
  3. Just create fsnameservers with your mdc address(es) inside/*
  4. Copy your .auth_secretfile if you use one/*
  5. Reboot or restart services/*
  6. sudo cvadmin will show up your StorNext filesystems/*/list/quote

    Make step 1 step 4. i.e. enable Xsan AFTER you set all the files up. You shouldn't need to reboot or restart at that point.

    Quote:
    Mount StorNext disks manually with mount -t acfs your_snfsname mountpoint
    I think a automount.plist will do it automatically (put it in /Library/Preferences/Xsan/)/quote
    xsanctl mount your_snfsname should work too.
wrstuden's picture

MattG wrote:
Just to enrich this post, "publicly visible" Xsan binaries are now tucked away in ...

/usr/sbin//quote
That part hasn't changed in a while. Those links were in Xsan 2.2.

MattG wrote:
But if you poke into...

/System/Library/Filesystems/acfs.fs/Contents/bin/

...you'll find a more complete set, including some new morsels like xsandaily (?!). This seems to be the location where the launchd-fired xsand is launching from./quote

xsandaily runs the quota checking and free space monitoring. It now all happens once a day, as opposed to quota messages going out every 24 hours after you go over quota. soft quota -> hard quota transition is unaffected.

Everything that was in /Library/Filesystems/Xsan has moved to one of three places.

  • Config (/L/F/X/config) is now /Library/Preferences/Xsan/*
  • Read-only items (bin and man) are now /System/Library/Filesystems/acfs.fs/Contents/{bin,man}/*
  • Writable items (logs) are now /Library/Logs/Xsan/{debug,data}/*/list
abstractrude's picture

i honestly have had the same experience with lion. "it just works" w00t. i dunno i guess i haven't used any of the new apple features on volumes since 1.4.2,s ACL's. a lion controller seems to support a leopard 2.2.1. as long as you don't use the new features.

-Trevor Carlson
THUMBWAR

cklauss's picture

hm, the file automount.plist seems not to work anymore.
I copied it into /Library/Preferences/Xsan/ but nothing happens.

mounting manually works fine.

Does someone know how I do auto mount SNFS with XSAN2.3?

lucasnap's picture

cklauss wrote:

Does someone know how I do auto mount SNFS with XSAN2.3?/quote

In 2.x "xsanctl mount VolumeName" would edit the automount file.

So I think if you just type the xsanctl command, your good.

cklauss's picture

lucasnap wrote:

In 2.x "xsanctl mount VolumeName" would edit the automount file.

So I think if you just type the xsanctl command, your good./quote

xsanctl mount VolumeName gives me an error
[code]mount command failed: Unable to mount volume `SANNAME' (error code: 45)
/code
mounting it manually works...

hm i can unmount it with xsanctl unmount, when it's already mounted, but I don't get it mounted that way..

abstractrude's picture

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1517
http://downloads.quantum.com/m330/6-67317-01_Xsan%20Matrix_M330_RevB.pdf

I have a related question. Does xsan 2.3 mdc with lion still support stornext fx2.2? it seems that these matrices dont mention it
(no named streams or case insensitive of course.)

-Trevor Carlson
THUMBWAR

abstractrude's picture

bumb

-Trevor Carlson
THUMBWAR

matx's picture

abstractrude wrote:
I have a related question. Does xsan 2.3 mdc with lion still support stornext fx2.2? it seems that these matrices dont mention it
(no named streams or case insensitive of course.)/quote

Kbase article got updated on Aug 04:

[url]http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1517/url

Xsan 2.3 MDC supports StorNext FS 3.5.3 and StorNext FX 2.2 client

cklauss's picture

Today I managed to automount a SNFS filesystem with XSAN2.3 and Mac OS X 10.7

The configuration of XSAN was quite easy on Lion. But one file was still missing, because I thought theres was no need for it.

But the config.plist is essential for autmount.

so I copied a config.plist from a other client with SL and Xsan2.2 and removed the last array with the Xsan2.2 licence and other information because Lion has its own license.

I put the file into: /Library/Preferences/Xsan/config.plist

[code]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

computers

metadataNetwork
192.168.76.0/22
role
CLIENT
sanName
YourSAN
/code

Just be sure to adapt the metadata network information.
EDIT: I removed some entries from the config.plist I think there is no use for them. The String YourSAN is displayed in the SAN component in the Systemsettings where you can mount and unmount your SNFS Filesystems.

After rebooting, the automount.plist was read and the filesystem was mounted automatically.

So for using XSAN2.3 you don't need the config.plist, but in order to use the automount a filesystem it is essential because the xsand is looking for this file.

musu1982's picture

Hi All,

We have a storNext server running on version 3.5.2 which has 4 workspaces connected to it.

I have been having issue seeing all the luns of the 4 workspaces. On starting the fsnmp service it displays all the luns of 2 workspaces and half the luns of other workspaces.

I have attached an error of the fsmpm service for further info:

27/09/11 3:39:33.922 PM com.apple.xsan: fsmpm(128,0x1003af000) malloc: *** auto malloc[128]:
error: GC operation on unregistered thread. Thread registered implicitly. Break on
auto_zone_thread_registration_error() to debug.
27/09/11 3:39:33.922 PM fsmpm: Disk arb runloop starting
27/09/11 3:39:34.510 PM SecurityAgent: kCGErrorFailure: CGSPackagesGetWorkspaceType:
couldn't get workspace type
27/09/11 3:39:34.510 PM SecurityAgent: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint()
to catch errors as they are logged.
27/09/11 3:39:34.701 PM xsand: Synchronized with fsmpm after 12 seconds
27/09/11 3:39:34.703 PM fsmpm: PortMapper: Local FSD client is registered, on port 49157.
27/09/11 3:39:35.204 PM fsmpm: PortMapper: launching configuration reload thread
27/09/11 3:39:35.204 PM fsmpm: PortMapper: fsmpm configuration reload initiated (flags
FFFFFFFF)
27/09/11 3:39:35.204 PM fsmpm: Configuration files are for an old version of Xsan; no FSMs will be
launched
27/09/11 3:39:35.205 PM fsmpm: PortMapper: fsmpm configuration reload complete

Thanks for the help in advance.

Cheers

matx's picture

musu1982 wrote:
Hi All,

We have a storNext server running on version 3.5.2 which has 4 workspaces connected to it.

I have been having issue seeing all the luns of the 4 workspaces. On starting the fsnmp service it displays all the luns of 2 workspaces and half the luns of other workspaces.

I have attached an error of the fsmpm service for further info:

27/09/11 3:39:33.922 PM com.apple.xsan: fsmpm(128,0x1003af000) malloc: *** auto malloc[128]:
error: GC operation on unregistered thread. Thread registered implicitly. Break on
auto_zone_thread_registration_error() to debug.
27/09/11 3:39:33.922 PM fsmpm: Disk arb runloop starting
27/09/11 3:39:34.510 PM SecurityAgent: kCGErrorFailure: CGSPackagesGetWorkspaceType:
couldn't get workspace type
27/09/11 3:39:34.510 PM SecurityAgent: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint()
to catch errors as they are logged.
27/09/11 3:39:34.701 PM xsand: Synchronized with fsmpm after 12 seconds
27/09/11 3:39:34.703 PM fsmpm: PortMapper: Local FSD client is registered, on port 49157.
27/09/11 3:39:35.204 PM fsmpm: PortMapper: launching configuration reload thread
27/09/11 3:39:35.204 PM fsmpm: PortMapper: fsmpm configuration reload initiated (flags
FFFFFFFF)
27/09/11 3:39:35.204 PM fsmpm: Configuration files are for an old version of Xsan; no FSMs will be
launched
27/09/11 3:39:35.205 PM fsmpm: PortMapper: fsmpm configuration reload complete

Thanks for the help in advance.

Cheers/quote

1. Mac OS X 10.7 / Lion clients with Xsan 2.3 are compatible with StorNext controllers running 4.1.1 or later (not controllers running 3.5.2)

ref: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1517

2. This StorNext SAN was running fine before the introduction of this Lion client? Anything else changed?

3. Is there an ATTO or LSI card in the Xsan client that does not see all the LUNs?

4. Have you checked fibre switch zones for client access and SAN volume mount issues? Have you checked port configurations?

-x

NEO's picture

matx wrote:
3. Is there an ATTO or LSI card in the Xsan client that does not see all the LUNs?-x/quote

Hi there. I came here today to find a solution to a similar problem. I hopw this isn't considered crashing of the thread, my apologies if that's the case. I thought we might be having the same problem.

I started out with a ATTO Celerity 41ES that I know work in that computer since I see all LUNs when booting from Snow Leo Install disk. When looking in Lion I only see half of them though. I have talked with ATTO about it and this is what they tell me:

"The problem with this is that we don't really support connectivity to the LSI \ Netapp \ Engenio arrays with Multipathing on Lion with the 4Gb cards. Only the 8Gb cards are supported. The problem is we no longer can control this in Lion. In Snow leopard, there is an nvram switch to disable MPIO...In Lion, we can not do this due to Apple implementing ALUA in the OS itself. Our standard driver hooks into ALUA, and the MP Driver hooks into our own MP subsystem."

I have tried a few different driver that they sent me but none of them worked. So I took a LSI quad channel card from another mac and thought that this would for sure fix it. It didn't... Same problem with that. =(

And now when I stumbled across your post where you ask for ATTO and LSI cards I get curious... Do you have more info about this? Is there a solution?

Apple fixed something that broke it? :roll:

matx's picture

The reason I ask about LSI or ATTO is because I've seen a rare issue with ATTO cards showing only some LUNs, but not all of them. Need to replace the card in those cases.

NEO's picture

matx wrote:
The reason I ask about LSI or ATTO is because I've seen a rare issue with ATTO cards showing only some LUNs, but not all of them. Need to replace the card in those cases./quote

Mkay. The explanation to that should be what I wrote above. =/ But you're saying that it should work with LSI? i have the same issue with our LSI.=/

matx's picture

NEO wrote:
matx wrote:
But you're saying that it should work with LSI? i have the same issue with our LSI.=//quote/quote

No, all I meant was that some ATTO cards have exhibited this behaviour of showing fewer LUNs than there are. Replacing with new ATTO card fixed the issue. Same 8GB cards.

NEO's picture

matx wrote:
NEO wrote:
matx wrote:
But you're saying that it should work with LSI? i have the same issue with our LSI.=//quote

No, all I meant was that some ATTO cards have exhibited this behaviour of showing fewer LUNs than there are. Replacing with new ATTO card fixed the issue. Same 8GB cards./quote/quote

Gotcha. Thanks. 8)

If someone have more details about the underlying cause to that some cards not show all LUNs and/or a workaround/fix, please let me know. We can't simply replace all cards in our facility just because Apple changed something in Lion. Oh yeah, well I guess we could stick with Snow Leo. :roll:

NEO's picture

LSIs support was very helpful.

"To follow-up, this controller is an OEM (apple) controller / serial no. P060541209. Unfortunately we do not support OEM controllers. Please contact apple support to gain further assistance."

For some reason I'm very skeptical to even contact the Apple support. Not sure they're up for questions like this but I guess I have to give it a try. Sigh.