Xsan 2 on a Xserve2,1 (10.6.8) and Marvericks

growl88's picture

Hi everibody,

I've a question about the old osx server and his client. Can I have different OSX version client using Xsan 2 on my 10.6.8 Xserve2,1 server?

Because i want to buy a new mac, and maybe upgrade another one, but I don't know if can coexist different OS-Client in the same Xsan network

Thamk you so much!

Gino

Andrew Allen's picture

You can technically use different OS versions, but you might run into an awful lot of problems if you do (see my threads for examples.  . .) You'll need to upgrade your metadata controller to Mavericks with Xsan 3.1, and the older clients will need Xsan 2.2.2 to function correctly with a Maverick's controller.

My personal experience with 3 Mavericks Metadata controllers and 11 clients (2 Mavericks clients and 9 Snow Leopard) over 3 months is that this configuration will work most of the time, but you'll have swarms and swarms of Console error messages, a higher rate of failovers and general connectivity hiccups and problems. I could have other factors that are making my life hell at the moment, but that is my experience with introducing Mavericks into an Xsan envrionment thus far.